Thursday, July 12, 2012

First Impressions -- New Super Mario Bros. 2 Gameplay Trailer


Let me start off by saying that it is CRIME that I don't own a 3DS by now. This wouldn't bother me as much if my DS Lite was good for something other than its fantastic paperweight function. Its tragic death broke my heart.

But turning to the topic at hand, this new trailer for New Super Mario Bros. 2 didn't impress me that much.  The main platforming portions were pretty straightforward and not too much different from anything I've seen before. Not that I expected Mario to do something epic like brandish an arm cannon or kill Goombas with laser beams...

...It just didn't grab my attention like I think it should.

Also, the coins? They don't just float around, waiting for you to collect them; they rain down from the sky. Or if the game is feeling a little more generous, it will literally throw them at you. Is the platforming that hard or do the developers seriously think the average player needs that much help? This plus the White Tanooki Suit (entire level invincibility power-up) could equal a really short playthrough.

Still, if I ever get the console, I probably won't count this one out. The graphics seem pretty solid and the classic Mario formula has never let me down before. In the end, it's not like Nintendo has to work hard to get money out of  me anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Concerns? Disagree with me completely? Think that video games and fashion is a horrible combination and that I should go back to my (non-existant) day job?

Leave a comment! Every opinion is welcome here--even that last one--as long as you're polite and courteous.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...