Tuesday, October 22, 2013

"Why do I own this?"-- World Driver Championship

We all have at least one...that one game you don't remember asking for. Maybe you don't even remember receiving it. All that matters is that you don't like it, you don't play it, and you don't even understand why you have it in the first place.

The odd one out in my collection.
Case in point: My copy of World Driver Championship for the Nintendo 64. I see this cartridge in my N64 storage case and ask myself: "Where did this even come from?" Did someone buy this for me as a gift or just leave this in my room to spite me? I like racing games just as much as the next person who says they like racing games but I'm more partial to karts with colorful tracks and crazy power ups...This is just another realistic arcade racer made to cash in on the popularity surrounding similar titles during the late nineties.

There is no way on Earth I asked for this game. I can count the number of time I played it not on one hand but just a few fingers.

I would go into detail and tell you what the game is about but it’s exactly what’s on the tin. You choose a car, you race around a track. Rinse and repeat until you win The “World Driver Championship.” If there’s anything more to it, I don’t know about it.

Now I must be honest and admit that the graphics were actually quite good for a N64 title and the music wasn't that bad either. Too bad controlling your car was like trying to drive across an oil slick blindfolded with a steering wheel made by Fisher Price.

Don't believe me? Check out this video.


They aren't hamming up it for laughs. The controls are really that unstable.

So why do I still have it if it's obviously doing nothing but taking up space? I can't willingly put this game back into circulation by trying to sell it, no one in their right mind should accept it as a gift and it feels to wasteful to just throw it away. I'm just taking one for the team, I suppose. Saving lives, one frustrating game at a time.

Is there game in your collection that makes you go "Why do I own this?"

2 comments:

  1. Great post.
    Mind following one another on gfc ,bloglovin,g+ I will follow back.
    Lets keep in touch.
    http://rock4less.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some random GBA game gathering dust...can't even remember what it's called. Crash and Spyro Superpak? It's Crash Bandicoot and Spyro...the dragon? Two games in one or something like that. I maybe played it once, and I can't remember where it came from. Even though I'll probably never pick it up again, I can't throw it away! That would feel just plain weird!

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Concerns? Disagree with me completely? Think that video games and fashion is a horrible combination and that I should go back to my (non-existant) day job?

Leave a comment! Every opinion is welcome here--even that last one--as long as you're polite and courteous.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...